Coding my best.

Rails Project - Fit Challenge

Back in October a good friend of mine challenged me to do 100 workouts by the end of the year (challenge was not completed, but that’s besides the point). He looked around for a way to keep track of our workouts, but couldn’t find a good app. He made a spreadsheet instead, and then said a few things that he wished the spreadsheet would do. After an hour or so of messing around with it, I had set up a bunch of the things he had been hoping for. I also had an idea for my rails project.

Sinatra App.

I really enjoyed working on the Sinatra Project because I finally felt like I was beginning to understand how everything connects. The big picture. It took me a very long time to complete this project due to family obligations and general life interruptions and also a complete computer meltdown which lead to a new computer (exciting, but frustrating). I worried that when I came back to the project after all the different interruptions I would be lost. However, at least some of the information seems to be sticking and I really enjoyed the overall process of creating this app!

CLI project complete.

I was actually really excited to dive into the first real project. I wanted to see if I had been able to hang on to any of the knowledge that I had been trying to squash into my brain for the past nine months or so. The answer was some of it yes, some of it no.

The tiniest mistake.

I just spent three days banging my head against the computer, thinking the last 9 months of studying have all been for nothing. I just didn’t get it. At all. I googled every previous answer I could find. I studied each, hoping for some clue, but just could not figure out why doing it that way would help out with the error I was getting. It was the cash register OO lab, and the mistake was =+ vs. +=. Thank goodness for the “Ask a Question”.

That Original Macintosh.

I still remember the first time I saw a computer in someone’s home. I was six, and visiting my friend Kate. She led me into her father’s off-limits office. On the table was a Macintosh computer with its brightly colored rainbow apple, and its keyboard begging to be touched. She showed me how to turn it on, we stared at the dimly lit screen in awe. When I got home that night I told my father all about it, and he told me that he had been thinking about getting one. A few months later a computer entered out home, and was sent up to the third floor attic room. I was scared of the third floor, but I braved it often to go up and turn the computer on. I played around with typing and drawing, but my true love was Shufflepuck Café. I spent countless hours playing against the various characters, my sister and I jostling each other for turns. The years passed by, our computer was updated again and again; I fell in love with Oregon Trail, Myst, and then America Online. Everything about computers was fascinating. Using them to edit videos in high school, talking with people all over the world in chat rooms, email, the horrible years of pop-up ads, Facebook added my senior year of college, and finally several forays into webpage building through wordpress. Meanwhile I studied anthropology in college, and then moved to Italy to study cooking. I became a cook and worked in several restaurants in Italy. I married an Italian, and spent seven years in Italy, before I put my foot down and said I was ready to move back to the States. He came for a year, but was missing Italy. We decided to compromise, and also to have kids. We now have two little children, and live half the year in Italy and half in Philadelphia. This makes for an interesting life, but makes working as a chef difficult. After weighing my options for a long time, I finally decided that if I was going to make a career change away from cooking, I would really like to dive further into the world of computers, and software development. So far I love my decision.